Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Skilled Volunteer/Pro Bono Consulting Projects. Lend a hand with a specific high-priority project. Let us know your skillset and we’ll match you with a current project need! Candidates for board service also considered.
- Help out in an AWE Classroom. Get creative in one of the 40 AWE classrooms throughout the Bay Area. Volunteers will assist Artist Instructors and Elder Artists as needed. Orientation and training required. Classes are held weekday mornings and afternoons.
- Annual Exhibit & Opening Reception. Every year AWE puts together a juried art exhibit, with hundreds of submissions and over 100 selected works. Help us make sure the featured artists are warmly welcomed and fully accommodated at our big party. (Annually in October).
- Biographies & Photography. Each artist featured in our annual exhibit is interviewed, so that we can learn more about them, their story, and their work. Biographical sketches are done by our Life Stories Team and a high quality black and white photo are included with each original work. If you’d like to connect your creative medium with AWE, we’d love to hear from you. *See detail below.
- Host a supply drive. Every artist needs tools – paper, canvas, brushes, paint, etc. Partner up with your local art store and host a supply drive for low-income AWE participants.
- AWE Ambassadors. Help us spread the word about AWE by attending festive community events with other volunteers!
Email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org with “Volunteer” in the subject line and tell us what you’re interested in.
*We are currently seeking volunteer Life Stories Specialists for our 2020 28th Annual Show:
AWE is looking for volunteer biography writers interested in supporting creative aging as a part of the Art With Elders Exhibits Program. Each year, Art With Elders selects 100 of our elder art students to be featured in our Annual Show. Each of the featured artists have their photo and a brief biographical sketch created and exhibited with their work. Our team of Life Stories Specialists interviews between 30 and 50 new program participants per year and creates 200-word biographical sketches about each artist’s life history and present experience with art class (link here https://www.artwithelders.org/annual-exhibit/ then click on “Artist Pages” ). The artist interviews are done in senior living communities located in San Francisco, San Jose, and the East Bay, and are coordinated by AWE staff.
We will begin student interviews in June and have finished biographies by end of September to be ready for our October Annual Show Event. Each elder artist is unique, some are living independently, others rely completely on caregivers because of physical and cognitive issues. Spanish and Mandarin translators are also needed. This year we are preparing for our 28th Annual AWE Show. Please contact AWE Exhibits Manager, Darcie O’Brien, email@example.com 415-246-3818 for details and sign up.